Thursday, August 25, 2011

HP Touchpad Review


IT'S AWESOME GO BUY ONE TODAY!!!!











Okay, there is more to the review than that emotionally-charged imperative statement. At $99 for the 16GB version and $149 for the 32GB version, this is a deal that you CANNOT pass up. While it does not support as many apps as Apple's iPad™, it is pretty much the same thing, at a fraction of the cost. I sure hope the WebOS operating system survives either as a licensed OS or under the stewardship of a new owner. Myriads of industry analysts have commented on HP's decision to kill the product line, and I am not going to comment further on their strategic decision to follow IBM's example (6 years later).

In any case, I found out about the fire sale late Friday night, and I was up early the next morning and picked up the last one at Staples.  I am still having a hard time finding accessories (such as the WebOS bluetooth keyboard and the Touchstone docking station), but I think I am going to bite the bullet and order that stuff from Amazon before it sells out. If I wait until accessory prices drop, I may never get a hold of them until they are way overpriced on eBay.

Since owning this awesome piece of technology, I can honestly say that it is completely worth the original price of $500. Too bad it took the termination of the WebOS hardware team to make this the runaway success that it has become over the past 6 days. Hopefully, the WebOS source code will survive under the wing of HTC or Samsung, because it is a truly superior OS to Android.

I love my HTC EVO 4G, and love the number of apps available for it, but Android is Klunky with a kapital K, and I miss WebOS's smooth operation and well-engineered user interface. I fell in love with WebOS after owning a Palm Pre, and I am glad to own a brand new WebOS device.

The advantage of software over hardware, is that hardware is easy to kill. Hardware can break and become outdated. But software is immortal. Software can survive in cyberspace and evolve, and that I hope will be WebOS's saving grace.

I have to say, my Mac is feeling lonely lately, because I've been using the Touchpad almost exclusively for the past week.

In other news, did you hear about the iPhone 5 coming to Sprint in October?

For the time being, iOS and Android will be the dominant players in the mobile OS field, with Windows Phone 7 a distant third. But do not write off WebOS as dead... it will rise from the dead, in one form or another. With Google now owning Motorola Mobility, and rumors of Microsoft acquiring Nokia, it seems as if the future is in vertical integration of software and hardware, so let's see where this leads...

2012-01-04 UPDATE: It was not the iPhone 5, but the iPhone 4S. Also, WebOS is now going to be open-source, and will not be bought by any company.

2 comments:

  1. The same thing happened here.

    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/exec-tech/harvey-norman-sells-touchpad-at-100/story-e6frgazf-1226119630371

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can decide that which device you want to buy:
    Smartphone, laptop or tablet. But I think Tablet device is best for the businessman because of many reason. Many branded company sell their tablet but you should take a look on some tablet review site before you buy it so that it will help you to have some knowledge about its feature, its benefit, U can compare them for justifying that which of them is best.

    http://whattabletisthebest.com/ is a same liked site where many people said their experience, review and comments about using tablets. You also can take a look on there.

    ReplyDelete