Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Christian Terrorists



image source: The Associated Press

I am non-religious. I do not adhere to any faith. To me, there are two types of people. Non-religious people, and religious people.

Since I live in a part of the world predominantly Christian, I focus a lot on Christianity in my blogging. As a result, I've heard a lot of Christians accuse me of focusing too much attention on Christianity and not enough on Islam. They say that 'Christians don't fly planes full of innocent people into buildings!'

(actually, rumor has it that Joseph Stack, the guy who flew a plane into an IRS building in Texas, was NOT a muslim!)

Which brings me to a current news story. Apparently, some Christians do plot to kill police officers:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/christian-militia-plots-kill-police-10237807

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/fbi-rounds-christian-extremists-10235069

Now, I am sure that the 9/11 hijackers do NOT represent the majority of Muslims, and I am sure that the Hutaree do NOT represent the majority of Christians, but if you believe that the government is Satan and that you need to fight for Jesus in an apocalyptic end-of-days battle, I think we need to add your name to the no-fly list, and tap your phone lines. Maybe send you to Guantanamo Bay too.

I will use this news story again and again. Every single time someone utters anti-muslim propaganda, I will mention the Hutaree. Every single time someone calls atheists immoral, I will mention the Hutaree.

This is another perfect example of how religion in and of itself is not a good moral compass. In order to be a moral person, one needs compassion. Religious beliefs alone cannot be substituted for it. You either have compassion for your fellow, or you don't.

I know what some of you will say. You will say "They believed they were Christians, but they were NOT true Christians. True Christians do not commit murder."

My question to you in response to that is "How do you know that YOU are a true Christian?".

Peace be with you.

1 comment:

  1. No such thing as Christian Terrorists- Bullshit.

    People that shoot doctors, block women from entering clinics, lobby to end stem cell research to save the "fetus" (which could have saved many lives), protest funerals of soldiers, and promote an agenda that does not allow every citizen the right to marry and have a family is a terrorist.

    ReplyDelete